Elect all Leominster’s Covid 19 active travel road closure for High Street and Corn Square: August 2020 on
- Leominster’s High Street and Corn Square are closed to vehicles 10am- 1pm Monday to Saturday
- A 20mph limit now covers the town centre and Hereford Road down to Leominster Primary School
- This is a national scheme funded by government to provide safe space for people during Covid: the national infection R rate is currently very near 1.
- Transmission of Covid 19 is greatly reduced outdoors and where people are able to keep at least 1 metre apart
- This scheme reduces the chance of a second wave and lockdown, which would be dreadful for our town and businesses
- Our narrow pavements make it impossible for people to keep one metre apart when shoppers need to pass and there are queues on the pavements
- The closure makes it safer for buggies, people with mobility issues and everyone passing each other and queues on narrow pavements
- The part time pedestrianisation provides a regular opportunity for people who are vulnerable and concerned about catching Covid to shop safely. One third of Leominster’s population are defined as vulnerable.
- Streets remain open for buggies, cyclists, mobility scooters and walkers.
- It is even more enjoyable to browse our excellent independent shops in a car free zone!
- Our Tourist Information Centre is open in corner of Corn Square from 10am-2pm.
- Free public toilets are available at our Bus station (opposite Co-op) and Broad St car park, also Central carpark (8am – 2pm) and the Grange
- Everything in town is within a short distance- with many free and cheap car parking spaces within yards of the centre: we have well over 500 spaces near the town centre
- Free on street parking in Broad St, Church Street and many other nearby locations
- Disabled parking spaces in Etnam St car park, Central car park, Broad St and Broad St car park: those with blue badges can also park in many other places legally
- Shopmobility can provide aids by arrangement, ring Chris on 07960 63107 to book or drop in to their base in Central carpark
- Car park charges range from 50p for an hour and £2.50 all day – see below for charges
- It is an offence to move a road closure notice (enforced by police)
- Businesses have been consulted. The measures can be adjusted – contact Herefordshire Council
- Maximum length of closure: 18 months. Cannot be extended without consultation.
- Our tourist info office has free colourful leaflets, with a good map showing carparks.
- Parking enforcement can be contacted on 01432 383277 if there is a serious issue.
- https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/info/200196/roads/908/walking_and_cycling_improvements for more info on Covid 19 active travel schemes around the county
Leominster Car park charges
Broad St car park: up to 24 hours £2.50
Central car park: up to 1 hour £1, 2 hours £1.50
Dishley St: up to 2 hours for £1, 4 hours £1.50
Etnam St car park: up to 1 hour 50p, 2 hours 80p, 4 hours £1.50
Co-op supermarket: half hour free, up to 1.5 hours £1 (refunded if you spend over £10 in store)
Cllr Trish Marsh, 8 August 2020: Updates and improvements welcome to trish.marsh@herefordshire.